Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Primary Fermentation Done

Cracked open both fermenters tonight as they stopped bubbling a few days ago.

Stout:  FG is 1.022 (perfect according to the recipe) - 7.4% ABV
Taste and smell excellent, a bit of a harsh aftertaste, but (as the recipe says) I can see it mellowing in a month.
Appearance is a bit lighter than I would have liked, but still looks good.  I was sampling in an opaque white plastic cup, so maybe a little hard to tell.

Hard Cider: FG is 1.000 - 5.9% ABV
Taste is excellent, just as the yeast description said, there is still the slight taste of apple, but the alcohol is not overpowering.  This is a hard one to decide whether to carbonate or not.  Will have to wait for the brewmaster's apprentice to taste and have an opinion.

Tomorrow I'll move them secondary fermentation and harvest the yeast, they both did a great job and I think I'll make a full batch of cider again soon.

No comments: